My First Hero


 


I awoke early, as often did, just before sunrise to walk by the side of flower

 

garden. I felt cold and cool breeze touching by face. I was wondering where this

 

place is, slowly I realized we are far away from home town. I was in deep sleep.

 

I thought if I sleep more I may deprive me the chance of seeing this wonderful

 

place Kohima. 

 

Giri was already awake. He was going through the other side garden along

 

with Ani. Guards were standing near gate with guns. Giri was a top Civil

 

Servant of Government of India. Guards were very friendly and wished me

 

when I passed my eye on them.

 

As I was about to get up driver Limbesh appeared and wished me

 

good morning.

 

"Sir what is the plan for today" I recollected the reason for my trip all the way

 

for the Middle East. I was reluctant earlier when my brother called me to visit

 

him.

 

It was my brother's mention about the significance of this beautiful North

 

Indian state of India that gave me the interest to plan the trip. Our dad served

 

Indian Army in Kohima.

 

Several years back closer periods of 2nd World War. Indian troops and British

 

Troops were together. We were so curious to hear the real stories of Army.

 

 My dad was the first hero in life. He used to narrate the Army stories and it

 

Made ever lasting memory for me. Once by mistake he had crossed the border

 

to Pakistan and luckily was able to return to our soil. Sun was about set, we

 

reached our main destination Army cemetery & memorial site. There

 

were slight rain drops. We walked inside and say many stone memorials. As we

 

entered we saw a stone board with so many familiar names of our community

 

with many names ending our surname Nair and was sure my dad's name not

 

listed. But eyes filled with tears when I read the writing on the big stone in front

 

of the memory.

 

"WHEN YOU GO HOME, TELL THEM OF US AND SAY - FOR THEIR

 

TOMORROW WE GAVE OUR TODAY”

 

 When I saw these words I couldn’t think of my beloved father.

 

We reached home. I lied down to relax. Father’s thought was keep on coming

 

 to me. Sleep did not come to my eyes, I was just lying down. I felt fortunate

 

being born and lived this life, slowly my eyes embraced sleep. Dream took me

 

to back to long years.

 

I used to work in Gulf. It was one early morning on a Friday.

 

We used to have holiday on Friday. Telephone calling to India was not easy

 

those days. Coin phones were away from our accommodation. I walked

 

towards to telephone booth with a lot of anxiety. It was early morning without

 

much traffic.

 

These small calls were the some relief from the lonely life. The telephone bell

 

rang. I expected daddy to attend phone, but mother answered. After a moment

 

she gave the phone to the father. He was finding difficult to talk to me unlike

 

during the past. I just wondered what is happening. Is he

 

suffering more? I couldn't sleep that night. A silent slight pain was going

 

through my chest. That day was dull. Those days I was working in Saudi and

 

used to go for vacation once after every year. My inner feeling started worrying

 

will father survive till I make next vacation? I made up my mind somehow I

 

should leave this place and go to a place from where I can travel often to India

 

just to see my old parents often. After a long struggle that day arrived. I got the

 

final offer for a new job. God has heard my prayer a job is offered to me. The

 

long 13 years Gulf life is going to end soon. Suddenly a fear came to my mind

 

how to get out of this place with full clearance. I was hopeful that the my boss

 

Gopal will help me. But my ideas went wrong. He threw my resignation and

 

told. "No way”  “You cannot leave” “I cannot accept your resignation" I thought

 

for a while,  it is not the right time to argue with him. Let me give some time. I

 

thought I can convince him later. Two three days passed. I prayed to god, he

 

should help me. I pleaded with him and told. "Sir, my father is ill. It is difficult to

 

reach India in time in an emergency. My parents are old. I have told him I am

 

not leaving for money.

 

He used to like me a lot. May be due to my sincerely and frankness. He gave me

 

a lot of room to do a good job with confidence in the past. It is difficult to explain

 

my state of mind. Maybe he felt sorry for me and my good name and hard work

 

paid back. With very hard heart I left that Saudi leaving behind a lot of

 

good memories. It was so nice meeting father. I thanked god. He was not able to

 

speak well. Poor daddy, I felt. He was coughing too much. I slept side of him on

 

the wooden cot. Even though I didn't get proper sleep due to his cough, I was

 

happy I am with him. Mother was very happy and hugged me. "Raja" call

 

reached my ears. It was so nice. I felt very happy. God helped me to be beside

 

them during  his tough days. It was very hard leaving them behind in Kerala

and left to Bangalore with lot of pain. I had few days to leave to Muscat for a

 

new job.

 

The formalities went on well. All of a sudden the telephone rang. Mother was

 

On-line.

 

"Daddy in the hospital” “come fast". I didn't know what to do? It was difficult to

 

get sudden train tickets.

 

Ani asked how I can leave. I said 'I have to go". I packed a small bag and

 

hurried to the bus station and caught the 1st available bus to Coimbatore and

 

reached Trichur hospital early morning. I felt happy; I reached in time with few

 

Saudi Riyals in the pocket. I was wondering, short of money in the pocket. My

 

friend appeared and took Indian Rupees from him in exchange for foreign

 

currencies.

 

Soon an ambulance was arranged to leave to Trivandrum hospital. My

 

brother Giri was my strength always and was there to support me. We landed

 

in the hospital and then I thought it was nice we took him to a better place. I and

 

mummy stayed in a small hospital room side of dad. I discussed many things

 

about dad. My mother was a strong person and always stood with us. There

 

were not many days left for me to leave to Gulf for joining a new job.

 

One day dad called me by the side of the hospital bed, He was struggling to

 

speak. "Raja you go”. I didn't understand his words. The mother told me that he

 

was telling me to leave for a new job without delay. I was worried. I told

 

mummy.

 

How can I? Leaving him like this? Finally, with hard feelings, I was leaving. I

 

saw the tears in his eyes. It was telling me whether he will be able to see me

 

again.

 

Dad was such a nice person didn't want any hardship for anyone. If it is in the

 

case of children it was much more affection and care. I assured him I will come

 

back after a month by then he will be recovered. I knew that his days are

 

numbered from what I heard from Doctor. He was suffering from some

 

Pancreas disease. I didn't feel the thrill of joining for a new job. My mind was

 

still with dad in a hospital bed. Then all of a sudden telephone call came. Giri

 

told me dad left us. I couldn't do anything for some time. When came to sense

 

manager offered me to return to India without delay. The visa formalities were

 

there. But I remembered dad's last words and his wish. Brother told not travel

 

now. You can come late. Days passed, the festival time arrived in Gulf. I thought

 

it is time to see mother. Seeing mother alone at home, it was very hurting for

 

me. We all cried for long time and consoled each other.

 

 We had many stories of our hero to narrate. Mother went to the room and

 

bought me a small Astrology book called Panchangam. I asked her what that

 

was. She told me just go through. I was turning pages then suddenly something

 

stricken me. "10 Oct 2005" in RED ink. It was the handwriting of father. I was

 

stunned. It was the date my dad left us from this world. I couldn't believe my

 

eyes. I always felt father was just wonderful. My eyes filled with tears.  Oh my

 

God. He knew he was going to die. Even then he forced me to

 

leave India for the job. I thought what a wonderful dad. Even at the time of

 

death also, he wished comforts and happiness for children. Can anyone have

 

such a nice father? I thought “What a rare person he is”

 

Ani touched my shoulders. "Get up we have to get ready to leave to Airport".

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN EVER LASTING MEMORY

HOW TO CHANGE THE WORLD BY LOVE